Monday, July 20, 2009

Why I love Colorado--part 1

Some people are drawn to the sound of crashing waves and only feel complete when they are near the ocean. I am definitely drawn to the smell or pine trees, wild flowers blooming from the tiniest crack of a huge boulder and an ice cold glacier lake. In other words, Colorado. Some of the reasons that it soothes my soul--

Where else can you attend church in the middle of a forest? You can't really tell from the picture but the chapel sits in 5 acres of pine trees. The landscaping is beautiful, thanks to many Eagle projects and 25 years of hard work by the "tree people." There is a natural runoff that is filled with rocks to create a river bed. When they added the first addition to the chapel they made a glass walkway between the two parts of the building, which is behind the bushes in my picture. There is an ampitheater in the back and enough cover for an awsome game of capture the flag.

This chicken is another thing that calls me back to Colorado year after year. It is amazing!

My dad learned to cook this chicken years ago from a man who made his living traveling the fairs of the Midwest each summer. He made enough selling chicken that he didn't have to work in the winters. The ward here has had an annual chicken bbq for the past 28 years. My dad has done the chicken for 27 of those years. No one talks about the one year someone else decided to cook it. It is a labor intensive, many hour process. This year my dad and his crew cooked over 160 chicken halves. There wasn't one left.

2 comments:

Reiko said...

Lori-
I am with you in loving the mountains. I keep telling Bryan that one day we will end up in Colorado (the only state we both agree to live in). That chicken looks delicious. I shouldn't have read your post when I am hungry. Glad you are enjoying your vacation. We are enjoying your pool. Thank you!

Alayna said...

Yeah! I finally found your blog! the chicken looks amazing...as do the gorgeous mountains. I miss seeing you! Hope the rest of the trip is wonderful!